Property and & Finance Attorney under Lasting Power of Attorney

How do I help a relative who is self-isolating?

Following the recent outbreak of Coronavirus in the UK, the government has advised that anyone with symptoms of the virus should self-isolate. More information about the symptoms and what to do can be found on the government website.

If you are a named Property & Finance attorney in a registered Lasting Power of Attorney, you can act on their behalf and ensure they stay on top of their finances and bills, should they need to self-isolate. Giving them peace of mind and avoiding any unnecessary health risks.

To act as an attorney, your friend or relative will need to have made and registered a Property & Finance Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). Being an attorney will enable you to access their bank and utility accounts as if they were your own, and you will be able to make payments and transfer money, as and when it is needed.

How do I act as an attorney?

To act as an attorney, you will need to collect the original LPA document or a certified copy; this could be stored by the solicitor who completed it, or at home with the donor (the person who has taken out the LPA).

It is recommended that you obtain a certified copy because if the original is misplaced – the LPA is no longer valid. You will need to provide the original LPA or a certified copy to the bank and any other institutions you require access too, in order to prove that you have authority to act.

You will need to contact the donor’s bank/utility provider to see what proof of identification they require from you – the attorney. Once all documentation has been provided you will have full access to the donor’s accounts, as if they were your own.

If you have any questions regarding your Property & Finance LPA, or would like to set one up for a loved one, then please contact us on 02392 50 55 00 or email